Superfluous Error in English for SSC :-
Superfluous Error in English is very common in grammar. If you know the definition and some basic concept it will will be very easy to spot these Superfluous Error. We will study 20 questions and their solutions related to Superfluous Error in English for SSC. In the previous post we have studied basic concept related to Superfluous Expression and Slang.
1. Within an hour’s journey /they will /approach near Patna./no error
Ans- ( C ) Remove near. Near is superfluous here.
2. The P.M. said that/ it was his decision /and that nobody could get it changed./ no error
Ans- ( C ) Remove that
3. The teacher forbade/ the students not /to stage a walk out./no error
Ans- ( B ) Remove not. Use of not after forbade is superfluous.
4. “The patient is comparatively better /today and I hope /that he will recover soon”, said the doctor./no error
Ans- ( A ) Remove comparatively or replace better with good. Two comparative degree can not be used together.
5. Yesterday in the night /she came to dinner but ate very little /because she was emotionally disturbed./no error
Ans- ( A ) Replace yesterday in the night with last night.
6. The thing what /he likes is not/ available here./no error
Ans – ( A ) Remove the thing.
7. He asked me politely/ where I was going to/ and what I would bring for him./no error
Ans- ( B ) Remove to
8. In Mumbai she/ came across with many of her friends/ who had settled there ./no error
Ans- ( B ) Remove with. Never use with or suddenly with come across.
9. Two recent incidents/amply illustrate about / the present political condition of the country./no error
Ans- ( B ) Remove about. Never use about after illustrate,describe or discuss.
10. Throughout the whole year/ there was not a single day /without some violence./no error
Ans- ( A ) Remove whole.
11. The reason why /most of the people commit crime/ is because they have not been properly educated./no error
Ans- ( C ) Replace because with that. The reason and because can not be used together in a sentence.
12. Many people /don’t hardly know about the real factors/ that have led the state to so many crises./ no error
Ans- ( B ) Remove don’t. Never use negative words like no, not, don’t, doesn’t, didn’t, etc with hardly and scarcely. Because hardly and scarcely are themselves negative words.
13. We stayed in Goa /for a very short period of time /and then we returned home./no error
Ans- ( B ) Remove of time.
14. She wanted to know /whether it was /the right and proper thing to do./no error
Ans- ( C ) Remove either right or proper. Because both these words have same meaning and can not be used together.
15. Now-a-days she is living/ in foreign /but her parents still live in India./no error
Ans- ( B ) Replace in foreign with abroad.
16. According to me /every student of English literature/ must read all the best tragedies of Shakespeare./no error
Ans- ( A ) Replace according to me with in my opinion.
17. Many pupils/ of this department are working as teachers/ in different public schools of the district./no error
Ans- ( A ) Replace pupils with students.
18. She was /very friendly enough /to help him when he was in distress ./no error
Ans- ( B ) Remove very. Because when enough is used after positive degree of adjective then we should not use very before that positive degree.
19. There is/ no place/ in the bus./no error
Ans- ( B ) Replace place with room
20. She ran /as fastly as/ she could to win the race but ultimately she lost./no error
Ans- ( B ) Replace fastly with fast. There is no such word like fastly in English Grammar.
These 20 Superfluous Error in English will really help you.