SUPERFLUOUS EXPRESSION and SLANG | SUPERFLUOUS WORDS :-
What are Superfluous Words ? Superfluous meaning in English ? Superfluous definition.
Those words which are unnecessary and are just redundant in an expression are known as Superfluous words. For example – for a long period of time. Here we can remove ‘of time’ or period. The correct expression will be – for a long period or for a long time.
So we can say that superfluous words means ‘more than required’.
They are redundant words in the expression.
What is Superfluous meaning in Hindi?
You can take any of these words as meaning of superfluous in Hindi:-
- जरुरत से ज्यादा
What are SLANG?
Those words or phrases which are used by particular group but they are not used in standard English ( by everyone ) are called SLANG.
For example- ‘Fake news’ is a slang. This phrase was made popular by President Donald Trump. This word is supposed to describe inaccurate and fabricated news but now a days this phrase is used to describe the news which is against one’s views.
Another Example of Slang- my family member – its right phrase will be – a member of my family
Some features of Slang:-
- Slang is an informal language.
- A slang is used and spoken in particular context.
- We sometimes misinterpret using slang as being cool.
- For example sometimes we use ‘sis’ for sister.
SUPERFLUOUS ANTONYM :-
These are the antonyms of Superfluous.
Superfluous is a combination of two Latin words – ‘Super’ and ‘Fluere’. ‘Super’ means over and ‘Fluere’ means to flow.
- Repetition of same sense in different words
- More than is needed, desired, or required
Superfluous is an important topic of Grammar if we want to avoid common errors in English speaking and writing. Sometimes we write and speak words which are unnecessary. So we should know all these words if we want to improve our English language. Now we are going to start the word list.
SUPERFLUOUS EXPRESSION and SLANG word list :-
- There are some words which start with ‘re’. After some of them we don’t have to add back or again. There words are as follow:-
return, reimburse, retreat, recede, recall, recapitulate, repeat, recast, rewrite – never use back after them.
reborn, rebuild, reiterate, recast, recall, recede- never use again after them.
- After these words never use over.
over-ride, overturn, overshadow, overshoot, overtop
- There are some words after which we do not have to use not. Otherwise it will make the expression superfluous expression.
until, unless, forbid, prevent, dissuade, deny, refuse, lest.
SUPERFLUOUS EXPRESSION AND SLANG – Incorrect and Correct Uses:-
- equally as good as (Wrong) 1. as good as
- mutual agreement (Wrong) 2. agreement
- mutual friend (Wrong) 3. common friend
- mutual dislike of each other (Wrong) 4. mutual dislike
- freeship (Wrong) 5. freestudentship
- lecturership (Wrong) 6. lectureship
- cousin brother (Wrong) 7. cousin
- cousin sister (Wrong) 8. cousin
- consensus opinion (Wrong) 9. consensus
- consort husband (Wrong) 10. consort
- consort wife (Wrong) 11. consort
- final conclusion (Wrong) 12. conclusion
- kindly requested (Wrong) 13. requested
- funeral service (Wrong) 14. funeral
- supposing if (Wrong) 15. supposing
- suppose if (Wrong) 16. either use suppose or if
- during the period of war (Wrong) 17. during the war
- during the war period (Wrong) 18. during the war
- with bag and baggage (Wrong) 19. bag and baggage
- my family member (Wrong) 20. a member of my family
- an English teacher (Wrong) 21. a teacher of English
- passing marks (Wrong) 22. pass marks
- linking road (Wrong) 23. link road
- suddenly come across (Wrong) 24. come across
- come across with (Wrong) 25. come across
- coward man (Wrong) 26. coward
- flee away (Wrong) 27. flee
- and who (Wrong) 28. who
- and which (Wrong) 29. which
- and that (Wrong) 30. that
- reason because (Wrong) 31. reason that / reason why
- two twins (Wrong) 32. twins
- divide into four quarters (Wrong) 33. divide into four
- await for (Wrong) 34. await ( = wait for )
- comprise of (Wrong) 35. comprise ( = consist of )
- investigate into (Wrong) 36. investigate ( = inquire into )
These are some basic concepts of Superfluous Expression and Slang.
Some concepts we learnt in this post are :-
- Superfluous antonym /synonym / definition
- Superfluous etymology
- Superfluous error in English
- Superfluous words in English
- Superfluous words for SSC
If you want to solve some Superfluous related Errors or Practice then Click-